Infographics and Healthcare Marketing
By KT McGraw – @KTMcGraw_HIT
Looking for a quick, impactful hit on the PR front with the end of the year on the horizon or for a way to briefly summarize growth over 2011 for your health IT company and/or health facility?
Look no further than an infographic…
What is it?
An infographic is a visual depiction of data and information. More so, it’s a quick, easy, “eye candy” kind of way to share a message in a concise and yet effective fashion.
Let’s face it, the Internet has done many good AND bad things to us. One of which that walks the good/bad line is the fact that it’s made us ever more thirsty for knowledge but in a fast, functional, no time to waste kind of way. Infographics feed our thirst for knowledge and our growing lack of patience and time for information consumption.
Who’s doing infographics right these days?
- GE Healthcare Data Visualization
- Bill & Melinda Gates Foundation
- The majority of these infographics are polio focused, but they provide a solid visualization of infographic best practices (i.e., merge fun with functional) – Why Ending Polio Is More than Just a Goal
- GOOD Magazine(good site to pitch your health infographic to!)
- FastCompany.com (yet another good site to pitch your infographic to)
- If you’re looking for an all-inclusive infographic site, definitely check out FastCompany.com. Below is an example of a health-focused infographic from FastCompany.com, but the site offers an “infographic of the day,” which can assist in the brainstorming process – Why Your Stitches Cost $1,500
At SHIFT, we’ve had a lot of luck tying infographics to themes and/or holidays and national celebrations. With resolution season right around the corner, now’s a great time to think about how you can leverage an infographic to grab the attention of those looking to kick 2012 off with a healthy bang. I go to Harvard Vanguard here in Boston and have been on a health kick of my own over the last month – one I plan to extend far past January 1st. What I’d love to see from Harvard Vanguard is an infographic focused on what they did over the last year to improve patient care, educate patients, cut costs and a look ahead at 2012 as far as their focus and/or key initiatives will be. This could be a solid way to build patient engagement and showcase why I (and others) should continue to remain and/or become patients at Harvard Vanguard.
How about you – what cool healthcare focused infographics have you recently seen and/or would you like to see in the near future? Moreover, if you’re a bit more familiar with infographics, what’s the next evolution for the infographic – more interactivity, smaller, more digestible size? As always, we’d love to hear your thoughts.